Pages

Monday, April 12, 2010

What does a PhD in Mechanical Engineering look like at VCU

I'm transitioning from the pursuit of my Bachelor of Science in Engineering to my new pursuit of a PhD in Mechanical Engineering at VCU. I've been writing about the class I have been taking that is preparing me for the teaching and administrative side of obtaining a PhD. This is but one side of a three sided program. In addition to teaching and fulfilling administrative tasks I will also be conducting research.

Without further ado, I will begin my documentation of the experimental side of my research. I work for Dr. P Worth Longest in Mechanical Engineering. For years Dr. Longest has been conducting research in aerosols science and particle deposition . Well, as I am starting my work with him and am going to be here for a while, Dr Longest would like to begin an experimental side of his research to validate previous correlations and create new ones for future works. The difference between computational and experimental sciences is gigantic, but our plan is for me to be able to understand both and create case studies that spring from physical reality and can be validated by systematic numerical analyses.

Before this I have to wash the countertops and the shelves and learn what all this equipment does. Similar to a cooking blog I am hoping to add updates and include pictures. I will try to remember to bring in my camera and take nicer pictures, but to begin I will just post the overall look of the lab.




Peace,

Landon

2 comments:

  1. Be interesting to watch this unfold. Enjoyed the first few days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool direction for your blog...I like it! Glad to see you exploring some life for this space beyond what you are doing for the course. Look forward to future posts.

    ReplyDelete